您现在的位置: 纽约时报中英文网 >> 纽约时报中英文版 >> 国际 >> 正文


更新时间:2017-10-30 18:48:33 来源:纽约时报中文网 作者:佚名

Two Women, and Their Dogs, Rescued After Nearly 5 Months Lost at Sea

They were supposed to trade one island paradise for another: a monthlong sailing trip in spring, from Honolulu to Tahiti.


But on Wednesday morning, they were discovered in the wrong hemisphere, 5,000 miles off course and nearly six months into a dream that had curdled into a nightmare.


Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiaba were rescued by the Navy vessel the Ashland 900 miles south of Japan, according to a statement released by the Navy on Thursday. After setting out in early May, a storm claimed their 50-foot boat’s engine on May 30. They spent the next five months adrift at sea and unable to make contact with others.

据海军周四发布的一份声明称,海军的“阿什兰号”(Ashland)在日本以南900英里处救起了珍妮弗·阿佩尔(Jennifer Appel)和塔莎·富亚巴(Tasha Fuiaba)。她们于5月初启程,5月30日的一场暴风雨导致她们那艘50英尺(约合15米)长的船引擎出现故障。接下来的五个月,她们一直在海上漂流,无法与他人取得联系。

The two friends survived on a water purifier and a store of oatmeal, pasta and rice, with two pet dogs, Zeus and Valentine, to keep them company.


“I had tears in my eyes,’’ Ms. Appel said of the moment she saw the Navy ship approaching, according to The Honolulu Star-Advertiser. “It was incredibly emotional.”

“我的眼泪夺眶而出,”据《檀香山星报》(The Honolulu Star-Advertiser)报道,阿佩尔说起看到海军那艘船靠近的那一刻时表示,“非常激动。”

In a video released by the Navy, she blows kisses with two hands as her rescuers arrive; Zeus and Valentine yap and circle excitedly in the background.


Ms. Appel, who said she had lived in Hawaii for 10 years, began planning the trip two and a half years ago out of a desire to further explore the South Pacific. But after their engine flooded, the plan went awry. Ms. Appel and Ms. Fuiaba at first believed they could get to their destination using only the boat’s sails. But two months into a journey that ordinarily takes half that long, they began to issue daily distress calls using a high-frequency radio.


For 98 days, no one answered.


“It was very depressing and very hopeless,” Ms. Appel said. Their boat had been too far out of range to communicate with anyone either on land or at sea. “There is true humility to wondering if today is your last day, if tonight is your last night.”


In an interview with The Associated Press, Ms. Appel’s mother, Joyce Appel, said she had called the Coast Guard after being unable to reach her daughter a week and a half into the trip. By that point, Ms. Appel’s mobile phone had fallen overboard.

接受美联社(The Associated Press)的采访时,阿佩尔的母亲乔伊丝·阿佩尔(Joyce Appel)说,在女儿出发一周半后,她无法联系上对方,于是给海岸警卫队(Coast Guard)打电话。那时,阿佩尔的手机已经从船上落入水中了。

A Coast Guard search-and-rescue mission turned up empty, but Ms. Appel’s mother still believed her daughter would return. “I had hope all along, she is very resourceful and she’s curious and as things break, she tries to repair them,” she told The Associated Press. “She doesn’t sit and wait for the repairman to get there, so I knew the same thing would be true of the boat.”


The Ashland, a ready-response vessel that operates out of Sasebo, Japan, was alerted to the location of Ms. Appel and Ms. Fuiaba’s boat by a Taiwanese fishing vessel on Oct. 24, according to the Navy. The next morning, nearly half a year of anguished uncertainty came to an end.


“They saved our lives,” Ms. Appel said in the Navy statement. She described the feeling of seeing a ship on the horizon as “pure relief.”


Ms. Appel and Ms. Fuiaba are currently aboard the Ashland, where they will remain until its next port of call. Their boat, deemed unseaworthy, was left behind.